Yesterday was Good Neighbor Day, and in honor of that I would like to share about the 29-Day Giving Challenge. According to the website, “29 Gifts is a global giving movement with nearly ten thousand members in 42 countries. Our collective mission at 29 Gifts is to revive the giving spirit in the world. We change lives—and change the world—one gift at a time.”
It’s really easy to join in. “Sign up and then give away 29 gifts in 29 days. Your 29 Gifts can be anything given to anyone… money, food, old sweaters, smiles, your time, kind words or thoughts. You can start your own personal 29-Day Giving Challenge at any time—there’s no official begin or end date. To complete the challenge, submit a story, post a piece of your original artwork, create a short film or write a song. Tell us about your favorite gives and the impact it made on your life to focus on giving.”
Here are ten inexpensive giving ideas to get you started:
- Leave a dollar where someone else can find it.
- Bring cookies to your neighbor.
- Pay for the coffee of a person behind you in the drive-thru.
- Rake leaves off a neighbor’s lawn.
- Leave a note of appreciation in your mailbox for your mail carrier.
- Bring dinner to a new mom.
- Drop off snacks and some reading material to a parent who is at the hospital with their child or their parent.
- Hand out water and a meal voucher to a homeless person.
- Donate toiletries to a woman’s shelter.
- Call a friend going through a hard time and give them some words of encouragement.
I have signed up for this challenge, and if you’d like to join me I’d love it if you’d leave a comment below.