Here’s a summer salad that most people haven’t heard of—Bread Salad! It takes only minutes to prepare and requires absolutely no heat, so give it a chance! It makes a great side, and I think it’s substantial enough to be a meal all on its own.
I know some people refer to it as Soggy Bread Salad, but if you use a firm-textured bread, there is absolutely no sogginess in sight! Pinkie swear.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Whisk all ingredients in a medium bowl.
- 4 cups of 1-inch pieces day-old Italian bread
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Toss all ingredients in a large bowl. Top with dressing and gently toss until evenly coated. Cover tightly and refrigerate for about an hour or until bread is softened (but not soggy!).