The first tip we have for shopping with children is don’t do it if you can help it! We all know, though, that there comes a time when you will need to stop at the store with kids in tow. Rather than just keeping kids entertained at the store, I like to keep them involved. It is a great way to avoid the “can I have this?” because they know they get to choose some of our actual groceries.
Here are a few tips to make your shopping trip a little easier:
- Park next to a cart corral for easier in & out.
- Use a kids’ cart if available-car, television cart, etc.
- Have an older child read grocery list.
- Have a younger child search for specific items using a coupon picture.
- Have a toddler choose flavors or colors and/or count items.
- Teach children, even as young as preschool, how to bag like food items so they can help while you scan.
- Buckle kids into the car first so that they are safe & occupied while you load your bags