If you are looking for inexpensive but romantic dates, you are not alone. The cost of dating has exploded due to the rising cost of just about everything. Dinner and a movie used to a be a fairly standard, and relatively inexpensive date, but now that can cost between $60 & $100, not even a little cheap. Instead of doing those typical dinner and movie dates here are some cheap or even free date ideas that you might not have considered but can lead to lots of romance.
Cheap But Romantic Dates
- Make a bucket list. Have you ever wanted to go skydiving or climb a mountain? You might be surprised to find out your beloved does too. Sit down together and make a list of all the things you want to do before you ‘kick the bucket.’
- Watch people on the go. You and your date can go to the park or any other public place and have loads of fun watching homo sapiens act silly in their natural habitat. You can even make up stories about their behavior.
- Visit a public garden. Public gardens are romantic, with sweet smelling flowers and loads of beauty there is no better place to take a date.
- Museum free admission days. Almost all museums have a free day each week or month. Take these times to explore all of them, even those that you might not think you would normally enjoy.
- Dance anywhere. Dancing even if it is not slow dancing is incredibly romantic. Take your partner by the hand and dance anywhere even if the music is only in your heart.
- Dessert or coffee dates. Instead of dropping a bundle on dinner meet your date just for coffee, a beer, or dessert. It will take the pressure off conversation and your wallet.
- Build a fire. You can go to the beach or just your backyard and enjoy a warm cozy fire and great conversation.
- Volunteer your time. There is probably no date that will make you feel better then giving back to your community.
- Feed the birds. Grab a loaf of bread and take your beloved to the park or pond. You will get a chuckle out of watching the ducks nibble at bread and you won’t have to spend much money at all.
- Attend local events. Festivals and parades hosted by the community are often free. As long as you avoid vendors you can get to know your date and your neighbors for no cost.
- Test drive luxury cars. Even if you never plan on owning one it can be fun to test drive a few, just don’t get sucked in to a sales pitch.
- Be an invited guest. Instead of shrugging off party invitations say yes plus one and take your date.
- Go shopping at thrift stores or yard sales. These are the best places to get cheap deals and have fun laughing at the crazy things people buy.
- Take a hike. Nature is beautiful and romantic you can pick up seashells or wildflowers for your beloved or just snap some photos and enjoy each others company.
- Attend an open mic night. All sorts of bars and coffee houses have open mic poetry nights, you might even write a little something to read to your date.
- Host a board game night. Invite over some other couples and play board games, you’ll be surprised at how much fun they can be with a big group.
- Enjoy free concerts. There are probably more in your city then you think.
- Try on clothes. Like test driving cars this is a fun and inexpensive way to have fun.
- Visit every park in town. You might be surprised at how many undiscovered gems there are in your neighborhood. Take a ride on the swing set for added fun on your cheap but romantic date.
- Go to student sponsored events. The local college probably has loads of student events that are cheap if not free to attend.
- Go to the arcade. For some nostalgic fun for $20 or less play old video games and have some laughs.
- Do it yourself. Fix or build something together you’ll have fun with something to show for it.
- On a clear night look at the stars.
- Attend art gallery openings. They are usually free of charge.
- Go to public access lectures or classes.
- Cook a meal. There is not better way to someones heart then through their stomach.
- Go on a free factory tour. At the end you will usually be rewarded with a free sample, making a sweet end to your date.
- Do crafts together. Scrapbooking, pottery, or even paper and crayons can make for a fun evening.
- Exercise together. Go for a run or take a yoga class you will feel good and get to know each other a lot better.
- Go to open houses. Even if you are not in the market for a home it is fun to look and imagine what you would do with a new space.
It is easy to find cheap but romantic dates. Just look around your community and you will surely find all kinds of ways to entertain your beloved without emptying your wallet.
This article was written by William Eve. Between surfing and supporting his favourite football team Liverpoool, William writes articles about saving money, investment and real estate for a mortgage comparison website, Home Loan Finder.