Holiday traditions don’t have to cost a lot of money. You can take the simplest part of the season and turn it into a special event for your family. Here are a few ideas if you are looking for something to do with your family:
- Wrap your favorite holiday books and open one to read each day as a countdown to Christmas—this is a great way to use up leftover paper and re-ignite your children’s love for favorite holiday stories.
- Go caroling on your street with friends & family—this is a lost art, but is such a fun thing to do with kids. They will love ringing the doorbell and singing their favorite holiday songs.
- Tour light displays in your own neighborhood—you don’t have to visit displays that have admissions. Enjoy the lights in your own backyard!
- Bake holiday cookies at home with your children—We try so hard to make beautiful cookies, but save at least one batch to let the kids make on their own for Santa.
- Exchange cookies with friends & neighbors—it is easier and cheaper to make just one recipe so swap portions of your masterpieces to increase your holiday variety.
- Make a big deal of hanging the stockings—this is such a simple thing, but children will be excited about making it special on Christmas Eve in anticipation of Santa’s visit.
- Sprinkle reindeer food outside on Christmas Eve—1/4 c oatmeal, 1/8 c sugar, 2 Tbs colored sugar crystals and glitter to help them find their way.
- Take a picture of the children in front of your own tree in their pajamas on Christmas morning—this picture is often more fun and natural than the expensive Santa photos.