Back to School: What should I buy new?
I don’t have any children of my own, but I am a teacher of about 80 children per school year. I am going to try to give you the scoop on what you should (and shouldn’t) spend your money on. These are just guidelines from what I see on a daily basis, and most of them assume you don’t have a child entering kindergarten (when you have to buy everything).
Here are my tips to finding these items on the cheap.
- Other supplies that are requested by the teacher
- Comfortable shoes (preferably tennis shoes, especially in elementary school)
- An outfit for the first day
- Under garments
Buy Used or Reuse for more than 1 year:
This list assumes that you bought quality, sturdy products to begin with.
- Sturdy backpack
- Everyday clothing
- Lunch Boxes
- Pencil Boxes
Don’t Splurge On:
- Sandals and boots, if your child is very young, because many elementary schools now require tennis shoes for recess and gym.
- Supplies that your child wants, but the teacher did not request. I am thinking of items I send back home like gel pens, huge binders, and pencil sharpeners. (Teachers have limited space in their classrooms, so very often these items will be sent back home.)
- Character items. All it takes is one little “angel” making fun of your child, and they will not want to use the item anymore.
What are your opinions for getting ready for back to school?