I have been shopping thrift and resale stores for years to find great deals and hidden bargains. A few years ago, I was introduced to consignment shopping, and this year I’ll be participating in my first sale as a consignor! I have boxes and boxes of outgrown kids’ clothes and toys that I’ll be tagging all next week.
Which means I get to shop the private presale event for the first time! I’m excited for the chance to have first pick at the great items available for the fall. I’ll be shopping the Indy Kids Sale in Hamilton County for jeans, fall clothes, and holiday gifts. And, I’m coming fully prepared! I’ve been chatting with friends, reading tips on Indy Kids Sale, and stalking my friends’ blogs for the best secrets for consignment sale shopping.
Here are 6 ways to make the most of consignment sales:
- Take inventory. Check out last season’s clothes to see what still fits and what you’ll need. Make note of colors, so you can find clothing to mix and match what the kids already have.
- Measure kids — but leave them at home. You’ll get a lot more out of the experience sans children, but take measurements for purchasing. IKC even suggests tracing kids’ feet onto cardstock so you can size shoes before you buy.
- Bring a friend. Not only will you have a lot more fun with a friend, but it’s always nice to have a second pair of eyes when you’re scouting something specific.
- Bring a basket or bag. There are no carts at an event like this so bring a laundry basket or large bag to hold your purchases as you shop.
- Plan ahead. Don’t be afraid to grab a year ahead if you find a really great deal. I’ll also be thinking of Christmas and birthdays as I shop for the girls.
- Check back often. Once the items start thinning out, you may notice things you missed the first time around. Plus, Saturday is 50% off most items — I’ll definitely be shopping again on the last day.
The Indy Kids’ Consignment Sale is a huge sales event with two different locations this year. Sale hours are Thursday 9am-7pm, Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-1pm (September 13-15 at the Hamilton County Fairgrounds and September 27-29 at the Hancock County Fairgrounds). It is completely free to shop Thursday to Saturday. The private presale is on Wednesday night, before the event. Tickets are available for $5 each. You can also earn free tickets through volunteering and selling your own items.
How do you save money on clothes?
This giveaway has closed. Congratulations to Joanna and Chris — I hope you find lots of great deals!
I was provided with presale passes by Indy Kids Sale for this giveaway, but all opinions are 100% mine.