Cancer became real to me this week when my children’s grandmother went into the emergency room with symptoms resembling a stroke and left with a diagnosis of brain cancer. As I write this post my family is awaiting news from the Oncologist so I wanted to share about Stand Up To Cancer, a charity that is working hard to stop cancer in it’s tracks.
According to their website, “Cancer takes one person every minute. One life in a moment. They are our brothers, our sisters, our fathers and mothers, our husbands and wives, our best friends, our children, ourselves. Every day in America 1500 people die and yet the means to save them are literally within our reach. To wait any longer for someone else to save our lives and the lives of those we love is unforgivable.
Working with the top experts in cancer research, Stand Up To Cancer is forging a new way to develop breakthroughs that will end cancer. We’re putting together the best and the brightest minds in cancer research – those on the edge of accomplishment – investing in their projects and taking the bureaucratic obstacles out of their way. We are building interdisciplinary “Dream Teams” of scientists, clinicians, technicians and other experts, who will focus on a specific cancer problem. We’ll track their progress in real time, so that everyone who invests can see how their participation is creating real change.”
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Text STAND to 40202 to donate $10
- Do you know someone who has received a cancer diagnosis? For as little as a $1 donation you can honor them by launching a star.
- Start (or join) a fundraising team.
- Send an email, a facebook message, or a tweet and invite friends to Stand Up To Cancer with you.
- Purchase a Stand Up To Cancer clothing item or another item from their shop to spread awareness of cancer and the charity.
- Tune in tomorrow night (Friday) to a multi-network television event and make a donation.
THIS IS WHERE THE END OF CANCER BEGINS.