If you have furry friends at home, you know all about pet care expenses. Beyond pet food costs, you have vaccination costs and vet care—it all really adds up! I keep our food expenses down the same way I save on groceries—stocking up with sales & coupons. The pet medical expenses take a little more creativity, but we have found several things that can lower your budget just a bit:
- Do-It-Yourself: Spending a few dollars on a set of nail clippers, avoids unnecessary grooming expenses. We trim the cats’ nails every few weeks completely free. Of course, by we, I really mean him. It keeps them from accidentally hurting the kids or scratching the furniture but doesn’t require regular trips to the groomer or cut into at our budget. This also works for groom fur—buy a trimmer to save hundreds over the life of your pet.
- Pet Care Clinic: We recently had our new(ish) kitten neutered at a local pet care center. FACE works as a non-profit organization and offers heavily discounted shots and services. Check with the humane society in your area for information on similar options. Many will offer free pet care if you adopt an abandoned animal, too.
- Discount Pet Meds: Purchasing pet medication from the vet costs a fortune, but I didn’t know another way! I still kick myself for how much money I wasted over the years. I now purchase the exact same product or through discount pet med stores online. Several, like PetCareRx, actually offer a variety of medications, including antibiotics as well as flea control.
- Pet Sitting Swap: To avoid the high cost of boarding your pet for vacation, turn to your friends. You can offer to swap to watch their animals for their next vacation. Another inexpensive option is paying a neighborhood teen. We paid a neighbor girl $5 per day to peek in on our cat a few years ago—we would have spent 5 times as much boarding him through our vet. However, she was thrilled to make $30 just to play with our cat everyday.
- Pet Insurance:Even if you are carefully planning and saving all year, accidents can happen. Emergency pet care may become a necessary (and very high) expense. To control unexpected pet medical expenses, you might consider an insurance plan. Pet health insurance may cover accidents or illness, plus some routine care for your pets. Depending on the plan and provider you choose, pet insurance costs may range up to $100 per month but could save even more throughout the year.
Kroger Personal Finance offers several health insurance plans and they want to help you protect your pet. Their newest product is an accident-only policy for only $9.95 per month for each pet. “By paying monthly premiums there is no need to worry about suddenly struggling to come up with unbudgeted veterinary expenses down the road,” says KPF president, Kathy Kelly. Plans can be purchased at the checkout counter in Kroger, and their affiliates. For pet owners who do not have a Kroger store, plans can be purchased online. More information is available on their website at http://www.krogerpets.com/.
They have generously offered a $25 Kroger gift card to one of our readers. The gift card is good at all Kroger affiliates and can be used to purchase your insurance plan, pet food, supplies and groceries. To enter, simply leave a comment here telling us about your pets! We actually have a dog, two cats and a ferret—Indy, 8-Bit, Nemo and Missy are the furry members of our family. You can earn additional entries by:
- Subscribing to our site by email or RSS
- Following Kroger and Inexpensively on Twitter
- Blogging about this giveaway
- Tweeting about this giveaway: Win a $25 @KrogerDeals gift card from @Inexpensively! http://bit.ly/9xUTub
For your extra entries to be counted, be sure to leave an additional comment directing us to your entry. Only one additional entry per method (i.e. While multiple tweets are appreciated it, only one will count as a drawing entry.) The contest runs until February 7th at 11:59pm est. One winner will be notified by email on February 8th (as selected by Random.org) and receive a $25 Kroger gift card. Winner will have 48 hours to complete the claim form or a new winner will be chosen.
I was provided with a $25 gift card to manage this giveaway, but my opinion is 100% real.