If you are like me and have gas hook ups for most of your appliances winter is the time when you have high bills. All of our appliances are gas, our heater, our dryer, our stove. Everything that could be is. So over the last few years, these are some of the things that we have learned to help us save money.
- Make sure your water heater is on the energy saving heat setting. Usually water heaters have a line on them that show where the best setting is for them to be to save on heating costs and to keep yourself from burning yourself. Keeping it at this line or slightly below it will help to keep your gas bill a lot cheaper as it doesn’t have to light the flame as much to keep it warm.
- Time your showers or take Navy showers. I know this sounds silly, but you can make this fun and try to have a shortest shower competition in your home. We did that last year and m husband always is so much better at it then me! I couldn’t seem to get everything done by the time the timer went off. I blame it on the hair!!! 😉
- Do all your cooking or baking at once. This saves a ton of energy. If you can plan a day to do all your baking then you only heat up the oven once. This will heat your house a little too which is an added way to save a little as well.
- Do dishes by hand. You use a ton less water this way and you are able to control the heat on the water in the sink. Using the dishwasher all the time uses twice the amount of energy too because they use electricity to run it and gas to heat the water you use in it. Hand washing dishes only takes 15-30 min to do if you do it every day.
- if you have a programable thermostat use it. Have the house heat up first thing in the morning for a couple hours and then right before bed. Then during the day set it lower then you normally would and use sweaters if you get cold.
- If you get cold at night, wear socks to bed or add another blanket so you are warmer. This way you can keep the thermostat on a lower temp and not waste money while you sleep.
We regularly share with you deals, coupons and free offers. Each Monday, we will share the best of what’s out there. This list includes the most valuable offers and coupons each week, but are not necessarily product recommendations. If you are looking for specific recommendations, please see our product suggestions or the Inexpensively Store.