Grinder, sub, hoagie, hero, torpedo, panini – whatever you call it, the sandwich is an under-appreciated menu items that fits perfectly in our Beat the Heat Summer Cooking Series!
This week I’m going to be sharing three sandwiches that can be served either hot or cold.
If serving hot you can still beat the heat by grilling your sandwich to perfection! All you do is set your grill to medium heat, brush the grates with olive oil, and place your sandwich on indirect heat until the bread is toasted and the insides are warmed through!
Serve with your favorite salad, chips, and a ice cold lemonade—Enjoy!
California Ham Sandwich (serves 2)
- 6 slices ham, sliced thin
- 4 slices of your favorite substantial bread (sourdough or focaccia is lovely and adds extra flavor)
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite cream cheese*
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- lettuce, shredded
- tomatoes, sliced thin
Spread cream cheese on one side of each slice of bread. Layer ham and provolone cheese on top of cream cheese side of two slices of bread. Top each sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, and remaining slice of bread.
If grilling, spread cream cheese on one side of each slice of bread. Layer ham and provolone cheese on top of cream cheese side of two slices of bread. Place all slices of bread on grill, topping side up, until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Remove from grill, top each sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, and remaining slice of bread.
* You can use plain or herb-flavored cream cheese. Make your own flavors by working finely chopped herbs into plain cream cheese. My favorite add-ins are green onions, chives, or basil. If using flavored cream cheese and focaccia bread, make sure the flavors work together!lunch