Happy summer! While it’s been warming up for weeks, summer officially starts today. And, it’s just too darn hot to cook. Between the grill, kitchen appliances and cold recipes, we’ll hardly turn the oven on all season!
I do use the stove top, on occasion, as skillet meals don’t heat the kitchen quite the same way a baking oven will. One-dish meals are perfect—just toss it all in one skillet for a super simple meal on a hot day. My favorite summer dinners, though, involve keeping out of the kitchen altogether! In addition to passing dinner off to the hubby (oh, yes, we’re all about traditional gender roles there!), it keeps the hot mess outside. Later this season, I’ll show you how to grill a pizza.
That’s right, a pizza!
In fact, for the next several months, we’ll be featuring Beat the Heat recipes guaranteed to keep your kitchen cool. From grilling ideas to summer skillets to cold recipes, you’ll find plenty of ideas to get you through the summer. (And, if you have a recipe or idea you’d like to share, please let us know—we love guest authors!)
Beat the Heat
- How To Grill a Pizza
- 30 Slow Cooker Recipes for Summer
- Beat the Heat: Grilled Desserts
- Beat the Heat: Chicken Salad Wraps
- Beat the Heat: Grilling with Marinades
- Beat the Heat: Grilling with Rubs
- Beat the Heat: Grilling with Sauces
- Beat The Heat with the Green Goddess Sandwich
- Beat The Heat with Cobb Sandwiches
- California Ham Sandwiches
- Summer Salsa
- Bread Salad
- Italian Chopped Salad
- Taco-Ranch Chicken Salad
- Cilantro Lime Yard Bird with Trimmings
- Beat the Heat: Summer Cooking Without an Oven