I’m not a fan of Cyber Monday. At all. It’s basically a made-up thing, designed to capitalize on the Black Friday frenzy and keep you shopping. The problem is, the deals aren’t really there.
You will find a few good Amazon Lightening Deals and a handful of small business deals (45% off Flirty Aprons with coupon code CYBERFLIRTY today!), but most major retailers exhausted their bargains on Black Friday.
When shopping for deals today, keep these tips in mind:
- Compare regular prices. The above photo is actually a Cyber Monday deal that sold out, even though the price is marked up from regular retail. Check the regular price, compare stores, and be sure you aren’t paying more, just to order online today.
- Check reviews. Be cautious with amazing deals on electronics. Know the brand, read reviews, and take care to buy quality that will last past the holiday season.
- Know what you need. Do not buy a great deal just because the price is right. If it isn’t something you would buy anyway or you don’t have a specific person in mind for the gift, it isn’t a good deal. (Check out our holiday gift planning guide, too!)
- Include shipping in price comparisons. If the price of shipping would make the item cost more, skip it and find a better deal in stores later.
- See it in person. Don’t be afraid to head to a retail store to try on clothes, get a feel for electronics or compare quality for yourself. Sure, it slightly defeats the purpose of shopping online, but you’ll be sure to know what you’re buying.
- Find out about warranties and returns. If something doesn’t work out, you need to be able to get your money back after the holidays. Most retailers are offering extended returns for the holiday season, but this doesn’t always apply to online purchases.
This post originally appeared on 11/26/12.
When Toy Story first came out in 1995, Andy was a relatable character for many 90s kids. He had a neat collection of toys (albeit autonomous toys that talked whenever humans weren’t around), and the coolest toy he could think of was Buzz Lightyear. Fast-forward to 2013: kids these days don’t seem to be content [...]
Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is the official kickoff of the holiday shopping season. Sure it’s cold, it’s crowded and it all begins at a ridiculous hour (like, on Thursday), but if you’re up to the task, you’ll enjoy deep discounts on your holiday shopping! The key to a successful Black Friday shopping experience [...]
Image by Croixboy via Flickr The day after Thanksgiving, traditionally known as Black Friday, is my favorite way to kick off the holiday season. The day is long and chaotic, but full of bargains if you know where to look. This year, it’s starting on Thanksgiving and looks to be crazier than ever! That means [...]
The new trimester started at high school today, and my teen is taking Personal Financial Responsibility. I’m pretty excited about it, and I wish more schools offered a similar elective. Even while we have tried to teach our kids frugality and financial responsibility, we’re just Mom and Dad. What do we know? Learning the same [...]
I am a voracious reader—it has always been that way. From devouring an entire series of books in elementary school to spending my junior high spring break on the beach reading the Diary of Anne Frank & Flowers for Algernon, books have always been a part of my life. Our oldest daughter is quite a [...]
Between New Year’s resolutions and a fresh tax year, it’s time for all new financial goals. Since we started a new business last year, our goals are primarily related to new contracts, products and increasing revenue. Which all sounds well and good, but we’re going to have be smart about it. Really SMART. As in, [...]
There are only 364 days until Christmas—it’s time to stockup on wrapping paper, greeting cards and stocking stuffers. Of course, I’m only partly kidding. Holiday clearance deals begin now, and the prices will continue to drop all week. This is when I purchase my wrapping paper, gift tags and holiday trinkets to use in next [...]
With Thanksgiving in just two days, Sherman and I are already looking ahead to Black Friday! Today on Fox59 Morning News, we laid out our Black Friday plans to help you brave the cold, crowds and chaos in search of the ultimate deals. I spent the morning with Sherman Live! at McNamara Florist in Carmel, [...]
Black Friday is only 4 weeks away (yes, I’m counting—this is my Superbowl, yo), and I could not be more excited! It’s important to be prepared so you don’t get caught up in the hype and spend more than you had intended. It’s time to start checking my lists against the retail ads! Some stores [...]